Thursday, July 28, 2011

Athena... Spirit of the Wolf {Crystal Dawn}

Dusk falls courting a heavy gravity these days.
Fittingly so,
 as I wear a heavy heart.


Even so,
I keep walking forward,
and a keep a gentle smile on my lips for those I love.



Yet for all of those who spite me, you will see my fangs bared and shall suffer the pain of my fury. 
I have lived a hard knock life, one that most would not have survived, and those who did survive would be lucky to have their sanity as I still question mine from time to time.




I am thankful on a daily basis for great friends and companions,
like my ever faithful companion Athena
who gives me her wonderful Wolf kisses whenever I need them.






The fact is Wolves are more family oriented than many people know, 
once they are born they become a part of the pack (family). 
I pity the fool who imagines they can just become a wolf lover without knowing the real dangers of this wonderful species.


As I am of the American Indian heritage I can truly appreciate the majesty of the wolf as it is my spirit animal. American Indians define the spirit animal a.k.a. totem from birth or at a very young age. It is traditionally named your spirit animal by a Medicine man or woman, usually due to sightings, dreams, protection by the animal or encounters. When I was a child I had dreams of wolves, and told my grandmother of these dreams, as she was a medicine woman of pure Seminole Indian blood. It was she that named the wolf as my spirit animal, and my lifelong guardian.


There are great joys that come with having a wolf as a companion. As well as many sorrows. When they are pups they have a tendency to chew many of the things that you hold dear, including the very mattress that you are sleeping on, yet despite the losses I have suffered due to teething I love my beautiful Athena.


Many people do not know the simplest of facts about wolves, and many cannot tell the difference between a wolf and a husky! Film directors use this to there advantage and use huskies in place of wolves. Only the novice can be fooled by this as there are many distinctions that tell them apart. One of the main things that gives it away is that a wolves tail never curls over their back, even when lifted.


Wolves are considerably more intelligent than other dogs as well, 
which is apparent as they are the ancestor of all dogs.


To have a wolf truly love you and not look at you as prey you must be around them from the time they are born. It helps to build the bond and to integrate them into your family, else you may have your throat ripped out. It is unwise to think that they can ever be owned as they will always be wild at heart.


I was raised with wolves and say it with pride as they are the most beautiful animal I have ever encountered. Their teeth razor sharp and their eyes ever watchful, they are not to be treated like some kind of trinket. 


Wolves have families of their own when in the wild, when domesticated, you become their  family.
They speak to you with their body language, comfort you when your sad, and share in your joys. 
They have 42 teeth that will rip someone apart if they are ever foolish enough to mess with you.
Please keep that in mind when you come around these parts.
or decide to take from a wolf family.

Watch Never Cry Wolf here...
&
Capture the Dreamcatcher here...

{see you in the wind...}

.C.

No comments: